December 10, 2010

The Snowball

I'm going to The Snowball! Yes, I really am going. After weeks of procrastination and uncertainty I finally took the leap.  A leap of faith? Not so much as a huge bound into the great beyond called action. But after an hour of trying to please the gods of the Swedish railways web pages, I was on the brink of sacrificing the neighbour's cat. "Click to see earlier departures" turned without  exception into "An error has occurred". I started again from the front page filling in the dates, destinations and a revised time for when I wanted to leave, and finally came up with a viable alternative. Now I only had to coordinate this information with a completely different, and not so unrelated web page, since I suspect there's one programmer responsible for both, called www.nsb.no. Yes. The Norwegian railway's web pages. Do you see where this is going? Well, to make a longer story shorter, I now have transport from Östersund to Stockholm, and Stockholm via Östersund to Trondheim!

The more observant readers out there may notice a slight flaw in my travel arrangements. And this is today's Christmas competition! No, not really. The flaw manifests itself by the lack of continuous travel from Norway to the great capital of Sweden, Stockholm, because I simply haven't decided wherefrom, oh how I love that word, I shall depart. Trondheim or Verdal, my backwater part of Norway where I spent my first 18 years living a trouble free life doing not much of anything that required me to move my body rapidly.

Oh I spoke too soon. The mighty railway gods in Sweden have foiled my plans."The transaction could not be completed"!

To be continued...

No comments: